For a long time, the practice of digital forensics, digital evidence handling and the value that these services can add to investigations has been confined to the government. With the evolution of digital forensics in the private sector, Private Investigators now have access to these services that can help add value to their cases & get clients the evidence they need to prove or disprove a claim. These services include:
- Mobile Data Extraction & Analysis from smart
phones, tablets & cell phones
- Retrieval of artifacts such as messaging/chats,
internet history & email from mobile devices or
- Recovery of deleted items, both on mobile &
desktop computer platforms
- Documentation of pictures, video, etc. stored on
computers & mobile devices
- This evidence can be extremely valuable in cases
- Marital/Relationship Infidelity
- Child Custody Disputes
- Texting-while-Driving Investigations
- Personal Injury case
- Stalking, including cyber-stalking
- Defamation of character claims
- Fraud & Financial Investigations
Please take a few minutes and view the short video linked on this page to learn more about what you should do to ensure proper evidence handling in these cases.
Corporations of all types & size have a unique need for digital forensic expertise. In the age of *BYOD, acceptable use policies & valuable proprietary intellectual property, the value of a trained, competent digital forensic examiner goes far beyond that of your IT staff. Specific areas where you can and should call a digital forensic consultant include:
- Employee violations of acceptable use of company
computers, networks & mobile device
- Theft or pilfering of intellectual property, including
- Disgruntled current or former employee
- Suspected fraud, embezzlement or waste & abuse
of company resources
While some of these examples may be referred to law enforcement for further action, police generally will not investigate an alleged act without some concrete evidence that a crime has occurred. Our evidence-based practices ensure that, when law enforcement does get involved, the evidence has been acquired through the use of appropriate chain-of-custody and best practices.
The most valuable critical piece of advice for corporations who suspect any of the above instances is to secure the device(s) in question immediately when an incident is suspected. Then, contact us to discuss appropriate actions to be taken.
Together we can work to help keep our kids safe online and educate about responsible use of
the internet & electronic devices!